Sep 6, 2018

2018 Halloween Viewings

62 comments

October is less than a month away so go and prepare what you're going to see in our favorite time of the year!

Here's my list of what I'm going to watch in alphabetical order. Again, these are movies I haven't seen before:

• The Abominable Dr Phibes

• Alice Sweet Alice

• An American Werewolf in London

• Beetlejuice

• The Blair Witch Project

• Carrie (2013)

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind

• The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

• The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)

• The Deadly Mantis

• Edward Scissorhands

• The Elephant Man

• Get Out

• The Giant Behemoth

• The Giant Claw

• Invaders From Mars (1953)

• Invaders From Mars (1986)

• The Land Unknown

• The Lost World

• The Mummy (1932-Universal)

• The Mummy (1959-Hammer)

• Night of the Living Dead (1990)

• Nosferatu

• Nosferatu The Vampyre

• One Million BC (1940)

• One Million BC (1966)

• Planet of Dinosaurs (1978)

• Psycho 2

• Robot Monster

• Saw

• The Sixth Sense

• Sweeney Todd

• Them!

• Unknown Island

• The Valley of Gwangi

• The War of the Worlds (1953)

• When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)

• Zardoz

Sep 7, 2018Edited: Sep 7, 2018

We haven't decided what we are going to watch this year yet as we usually play most of it by ear since we own so many horror films. I do know we'll be watching a couple of the Halloweens, especially the original and I have to review the fifth one. Most likely there will be some other Carpenter films involved like The Fog and The Thing, along with The Shining and maybe a Vincent Price film or two.

Of course we will also be watching some Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors and I'll get through as many Tales from the Crypt episodes as I can. I just need to figure out where I left off last year.

We decided to watch The Fog today.

BTW, I forgot to answer your previous question about doing another Patreon request. I'm assuming you would want it to be The Giant Claw, right? Is that one available on DVD?

Wow, $34 for that DVD? o_O Wait, looks like there is another set with it on there.

Either way, it might make for a good Halloween Month review.

Sep 16, 2018Edited: Sep 16, 2018

Cat People - For a movie that is titled Cat People, it was sure as hell missing a lot of cat people in it. It should have been called "An Affair to Remember," oh... wait... Seriously though, after finally having the chance to watch this since buying it back in Dec, it was kind of a let down. I get what they were going for, and there were really good moments in it, such as when the one woman is walking down the dark street that is only lit by the street lights, but for the most part, I found myself bored. It is easily one of the weakest horror films I have seen from that era of Hollywood. I'll give it another chance next Halloween, but for right now, my score is a 6/10 stars.

The Last Man on Earth - A solid Vincent Price film that may be the best iteration of I Am Legend at this point in time. A shame to considering how long the book has been out at this point and how many attempts there have been. 9/10.

The Witch - Not as good as it was the first time I saw it in theaters, but still a pretty solid movie overall. I love how it shows the mental breakdown of the family while making you wonder if it is indeed being caused by the supernatural or if they are just bringing that aspect upon themselves for being such hateful people. Well, maybe hateful isn't the right term, but they're quite dysfunctional. It feels like a Hammer film from the 70s mixed with the psychological aspects of The Shining. I'm sticking to my 8/10 score

Watched the first 9 episodes to Tales from the Crypt Season 7 today.

Oct 1, 2018Edited: Oct 1, 2018

Let's start first by sharing with you 10 scariest horror movies I've seen:

Let's see, finished Tales from the Crypt Season 7 and started Season 1, watched Halloween 6, Friday the 13th Part 8, and the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Oct 1, 2018Edited: Oct 5, 2018

Nosferatu:

Silent movies are still the hardest for me to get into because the dialogue is minimum and the music for the most part doesn't match the scenes, and without even any sound effects you need to use your full attention with them. I heard there's a version that fixed some of these issues by having more appropriate music and matching sound effects so I might check that one in the future.

Now, I know this is basically Dracula under a different name and a slightly different plot, but oh boy, Count Orlok can give any Dracula the run of their money because he the scariest looking vampire I've seen. Some would say Orlok looks silly and obviously evil, but Max Schreck's performance and the cinematography can make even the silliest looking things scary as hell. A bit of a shame he's not in it that much.

It got its historical value, but I wouldn't put it as a favorite.

6/10

Finished Tales from the Crypt's first season and watched the theatrical cut to Halloween 6.

Oct 2, 2018

The Lost World (1925):

The grand daddy of dinosaur literature and dinosaur movies. I read the novel, or at least a version of the novel (Ladybird edition) so I was already familiar with the basic plot and characters and I am aware of some differences from the movie: Mainly bringing a Brontosaurus instead of a Pterodactyl to London..

It is dialogue heavy up until the expedition, then it turns to mostly dead air with dinosaurs doing stuff in the background that for the most part don't interact with the humans, and the Brontosaurus rampage is reduced to last five minutes of the movie.

The dinosaur effects by Willis O'Brein aren't as great as what we would see later in King Kong, but everybody needs to start with something. The stopmotion is rougher and the models are simpler than in King King.

6.5/10

Oct 3, 2018

The Mummy (1932): Boris Karloff should've been more famous as Imhotep rather than Frankenstein's monster because he was really amazing and chilling in this role.

It is amazing that this was an original story not based on a previous work in literature, and it was really well done. One of the best Horror-Romance movies I've ever seen.

9/10

Oct 4, 2018

One Million BC (1940):

Oh, God, now this is a real schlock of a movie! The dinosaurs (if you could call them that) are laughable. Oh sure, put a paper sheet on an alligator and call it a dinosaur. That'll fool everybody, right?! Except for the mammoths, they looked convincing. The monitors are the laziest because they're just monitor lizards without any makeup or prosthetics. But the absolute worse is the Tyrannosaur because it's just a rubber suit and fights the cave men in the same size. They were so cheap they didn't make it look larger than them.

Laughable effects aside, I thought it's an interesting movie. The cave people are not given any dialogue to say and most of the movie it's just them using body language to convey their emotions.

It's still a laughable schlock. It's riffing magnet, so watch it with friends and go MST3K all over it.

5/10

Oct 5, 2018

Unknown Island (1948):

Another schlock of a dinosaur movie. It's like a combined ripoff of both The Lost World and King Kong. A reporter wants to take pictures of dinosaurs, gathers a crew to take him to mystery island, and they get attacked by awful special effects and rebellious crew that wants to kill the people who hired them, and the captain wants to bring a living dinosaur to mainland (Spoiler Alert: That was too expensive to do so he couldn't do it).

And this movie did King Kong vs Godzilla before King Kong vs Godzilla... except it was Megatherium vs Ceratosaurs

4/10

The Omega Man - A good movie despite it not even trying to adapt the book one bit. I don't even know why they bothered to even credit him when it could have just been any post-apocalyptic plot out there. Neverthless, Heston is brillaint in his performance (as he always is) from the quips when he is pretending to be talking to someone to the moments when he flat out admits to be talking to himself. It is a good time, but it does slow down quite a bit in the middle and some parts of the story just don't make a lick of sense. A 7/10.

Also, Simpsons THoH VIII.

Oct 6, 2018

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951):

Another classic Sci-Fi. You can see the commentary of the Cold War in this with the danger of the strangers and security, but it still works to this day. The acting is great and "John Carpenter" Michael Rennie made a convincing performance of an alien who understands Earth's culture yet still doesn't understand everything about it. The remake should be interesting to watch.

9/10

Oct 6, 2018

Invaders from Mars (1953):

I expected this to be laughing stock, but this was actually really good.

At first you may think it's a ripoff of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but this actually three years before it. And for an independent movie of that time, I thought it was well written and well acted.

It stars a child, but his acting was great and the combination of whimsical and horror tone makes me mistake it for a Steven Spielberg movie.

The first half was strong, but when they move in to attack the alien it got slow and clunky.

7/10

© 2018 Creativity by Design, LLC